Sunday, April 20, 2014

Weekends Required

"You can't win 'em all girl, for every hot guy you're looking for, five creepy and weird guys are looking for you."

I love stumbling upon a new author. And currently, I am on a roll with some romance books. I have been enjoying diving into a story where I know that a Happily Ever After will be achieved. The excitement to me is the journey of getting there. And I enjoyed this trip.

Claire has worked for Jason for years, and he never noticed her in her wardrobe of beige. Jason, nicknamed "Hot Buns," doesn't go unnoticed by anyone. (Sex on a Stick comes to mind when I read descriptions about Mr. Danvers) Work causes them to spend a weekend out of town together during which they get to know each other on a much more personal level. GET YOUR MIND OUT OF THE GUTTER! She merely jumps half naked out of a cake at his friend's bachelor party. :)

The relationship has its bumps and blowouts, but you find yourself falling in love right along with them. The background stories are some of my favorite parts of this story. You meet her Mother who is ill, and instantly fall in love with her caregiver, Louise. (I want her to be my mother!) She has this capacity for love that is unmatched.

Enter Suzy in her fishnets, mini-skirts and inappropriate for the workplace shirts. Suzy was my favorite character of this book. She is sassy and very sure of herself. I hated to see her break down when her engagement ended, but felt pride when she bounced back to her funky self so quickly. (Even more excited to learn that the next installment in the Danvers series is Suzy's story. Maybe Gray will give her a run for her money!)

I will be honest that this book has been on my TBR shelf for quite some time, I was just a little put off by some not so pleasant reviews. I try not to read negative reviews. I have this rule, I do not write negative reviews. For me, life is too short to bad mouth someones blood, sweat and tears. I know, freedom of speech and all that fun jazz - but it is just not my cup of tea. I have known books that everyone raved about, that I thought were so-so, and vice versa. Not everyone will be pleased. Now, I will not recommend a book that I did not enjoy. Finally, there is the genre you are reading. Romance gives you a HEA. Therefore, in some sense of the word, Romance is predictable. That is what I am needing when I read Romance. The unpredictable of the trip is the fun.

END RANT. (Sorry...)

Jason is the ultimate sweetheart, albeit, a little misguided with how he shows his affection. Money has never been an issue to Jason, and when you add Claire (who has trust issues beyond his knowledge) it is a recipe for disaster. Luckily for the reader,  Jason's intentions are pure. Even when he is not obviously fighting for her back, he is still in her corner. Something about a man who knows what he wants and stops at nothing to get it - SWOON!

Syndey London knows how to pen a light, fun beach read. (Granted, I read this curled up in my bed eating my kids Easter candy - this is what I would describe as a beach read!) I know I will be picking up the following books in the series for sure! Great job Ms. London! (Also, is Danvers Inc. accepting applications?)

And last but NOT LEAST, show the author some LOVE:




No comments:

Post a Comment