Thursday, June 5, 2014

Be Mine

The beautiful Kris Calvert at Cafe Du Monde
We had the immense pleasure of meeting the sweet Kris Calvert during an impromptu breakfast with the ridiculously kind, Robyn Peterman at Cafe Du Monde during RT this past month. Kris (and the hilarious Mark Henry) took us in like we were long-time friends. It was the most comfortable meal I have ever had with complete strangers. Haha. While she discussed baking cupcakes and dined on beignets, I eagerly added her to my TBR shelf and ONE-CLICKED 'Be Mine.' 



  
"Every year, millions of people wait for love to find them.The glue that holds our loosely strung and sometimes battered souls together, many believe that love will miraculously show up on their doorstep. But destiny isn’t a matter of chance, it’s a matter of choice. This Valentine’s Day, follow the three intertwined stories of six hopeful souls who will choose their destiny and let the hearts fall where they may. Because if you want something you’ve never had, you’ve got to do something you’ve never done."

"Pearls don't lie on the seashore. If you want one, you must dive for it. - Chinese proverb" This is how the books begins. I just loved that quote. I don't know that I have ever highlighted the FIRST LINE in a book before. It struck a chord with me, and it is so true when it comes to love. 

This story starts with Mike Montgomery and his crush, "tall, non-fat, no foam latte."  Other than knowing that this woman whom he got up extra early to chance a sighting at Starbucks was beautiful and caused feelings he had never felt, he knew nothing. Not even her real name. 

Enter Lexi Scott, the barista who informs Mike that "tall, non-fat, no foam latte" is in fact "Sarah Brooks. She's a violinist with the symphony orchestra." Lexi was a fan of classical music, and she was quite attracted to a man that knew his way around the strings of an instrument. During a concert she attended at her university, the male cello player caught her attention with his passion for the notes he played and "the way he carefully cradled the cello." 

Meet Tom Brooks. He tries to be cool with lines like "I'm talented in a lot of areas. You just need to get to know me better. Baby, I'm the fire your mother warned you not to play with." In reality, he is awkward, addicted to the Walking Dead on Netflix and is not a fan of Adele. 

After the loss of her husband, Ellen Temple (who is currently an employee at a design firm headed by one, Mike Montgomery) has been taking yoga classes 3 times a week as advised from her psychiatrist. Penn Scott approaches her by complimenting her "Salamba Sirassna" which he cannot master. Friendship is all she is willing to offer chiropractor Penn, but with corny jokes like "What's a joint like you doing in a girl like this?" I can tell it won't be long for her to fall. (I for one am a sucker for the awkward, nerdy type!) 

Kris has created a story where these 6 people's stories are all connected in one way or another. The intricate web weaved had me hooked. So different from your boy meets girl romance. You have boy meets girl. Boy's sister meets man. Man employees woman who meets... You get the picture! I loved it! Once I caught the first connection, I was eager to make each and every connection. I adored this story from start to finish, and I cannot wait to get my hands on the next books in the 'Moonlight and Magnolias' series! 

A few more of my favorite lines from this book! 

"Are you saying I'm a passionate, adorable asshole?"

"I'd like to think so, although having a vagina doesn't stop me from believing that my balls are bigger than most men's."

And finally my FAVORITE from the entire book: 

"Yeah, I'm like that song on your Ipod that you always skip but can't bring yourself to delete."
"What?"
"You don't want me right now, but just knowing that someday you might? It's enough."
"That might be the most honest thing anyone has ever said to me."

Now, let's show Kris some LOVE

No comments:

Post a Comment